Sunday 15 July 2012

The Case For Carmarthen - The Everton of the WPL?.. Yr achos dros Caerfyrddin - y Everton Cymru?

Checking through my Twitter timeline yesterday I noticed that both Bala and Carmarthen were underway with their pre season friendlies. There is only a month until the season starts, and I need to make a decision on which team I will give my support to. For those with any interest,  Bala ventured into England and beat the magnificently named Glossop North End 1-0. Carmarthen gave the entire squad a run by playing 2 games on the same day, beating the once mighty Barry Town 2-3 in the morning, and then dispatching West End 2-4 in the afternoon. I'm massively impressed by the commitment of one D.Thomas who played in both games for Carmarthen!

I need to consider both clubs in detail and hope that after this an obvious decision comes forward. So here is the case for Carmarthen Town.

Founded in 1948, the Old Gold reached the WPL in 1996, just 4 seasons after it was formed. They can then, justifiably, claim to be an established WPL club. Their presence in the league is something that can be almost guaranteed. To make a weak comparison they are an Everton. Always in the top flight, with occasional forays into Europe mixed with intermittent relegation fights. By the looks of it, what you can guarantee with Carmarthen is an interesting season. There could be cup glory, there could be relegation. On the face of it, this is exactly the sort of team I am after. I have never followed a team in any sport that were nailed on for success. The fact that I can't predict where they will finish is a massive plus point. 

Looking at the squad on the clubs website, I don't immediately recognise any of the players, but I do know the manager. Mark Aizlewood is a player I remember from his Charlton days. I remember his sticker in my Panini Football 87 album, and a player I remember representing my country with pride and passion. This could be important, having someone who I respected as a player when I was young in charge could tip the balance. I am, after all, trying to find the love for football I had as a 6 year old!

A quick look on Wikipedia brought bad news though. Standing out from the squad list was the name J.Alsop. A man who largely made his name at the detested (by me) Cheltenham Town, and who then, as a senior pro at Oxford, at best bullied a youth trainee and at worst did something untoward with a banana. The truth of that will never be known, but Alsop took a 4 month ban for whatever did happen. The fact that this ban was not fought by the player suggests he was guilty of something.  It led me to the conclusion that I could probably get over the dressing room misbehaviour, but I'm not sure that I could forgive the crime of playing for Cheltenham. On the plus side, he is nearly 40 and may well not be playing in 2012/13!  Lets hope so!!

Richmond Park - Carmarthen
I'm reliably informed by Mr A.Nonymous, posting on my blog, that the club itself is a well run community club, with large amounts of volunteers helping out. As I work in community sport myself, this is important for me. I'm also impressed with the facilities on offer at Parc Waun Dew. The new stand is impressive, and suitable for European competition, meaning that, unlike many WPL clubs, they won't have to borrow a stadium if they do qualify for the UEFA Cup (I will never accept the Europa League!). This suggests a board with a long term vision for stability, a crucial thing at this level of sport.

Finally, there is the personal aspect of it. Although I've always lived on the wrong side of the bridge (apart from my 3 years at University in Wales), my family come from Pembury & Burry Port, about 15 miles away from Carmarthen. I am also trying to learn Southern Welsh, not Northern, so I should, in theory, be able to practice my learning a bit better if I was to visit Carmarthen.

I hope I've done the club justice here. There are several reasons for me to choose Carmarthen Town, but as I now move on to consider Bala, I know there will be good reasons to follow them too! Being decisive does not come easily to me! Carmathen fans, I'd appreciate your views!!

No comments:

Post a Comment