Tuesday 10 July 2012

1 From 2 to Save My Love of Football!


I had a bit of a stinker of a season in 2011/12. I don't mean when playing as I've already reached the age when basic competence is the only thing I aim for when I stick the boots on! I had a stinker of a supporting season. The club I've supported since my youth barely still exist. I don't actually care if they win or lose at the moment. I'm just happy with each week that the club is still there.

My adopted second team bombed in the League 2 play offs, and the only game I went to see them play resulted in the 3-0 humping that lost them top spot and ended a long unbeaten run.

The Premiership ceased to interest me when clubs lost a grip on reality. This was round about the time that Charlton sacked Alan Curbishley because the fans believed he had taken them as far as he could. Remind me how that one worked out...

Bala Town
I need something to re establish my love of football. Of the game, the most basic of sports, not the big business. As a Welshman, I have found the answer. The Welsh Premier League. It ties in with my attempts to learn the language that my grandparents spoke, and should enable me the opportunity to find the things that I loved about football in 1986, without having to put up with the things I hate about football in 2012. I need to see players who I know are playing for the love of the game. S4C online will let me watch a match each week, but just watching a match won't be enough. I need a team to follow, a team to invest my time into. I need players to relate to. I need players to love. I need players to moan about. I need a team!

Carmarthen Town
There are 12 teams in the WPL. TNS were ruled out straight away on the basis that picking them would be like being a kid who chooses Man Utd. They will be the team  I'm going to love to hate!  Bangor and Llanelli were not considered because they have fairly recently won the league. I then narrowed it down to 3 teams. Aberystwyth, Carmarthen or Bala. Ideal for me because I need to support the underdog, but there were other reasons too. Carmarthen represented the closest team to the roots of my family. Bala lake is in a stunning location that reminds me of many a holiday to North Wales. Aberystwyth because I had an amazing run of success in Football Manager!



With nothing to choose between the 3 I decided to tweet them all!
Within an hour Bala and Carmarthen had replied to me.. Sadly Aberystwyth are too late.  So I am left with a month to make a choice. Which team shall I entrust my sporting happiness with for the next year! The Lakesiders or The Old Gold. The decision must be made by the season's start!

Much research is in front of me, but I am already re-energised! I will never stop supporting my (now League 1) team, but the WPL might just save me from losing my high level of interest in football.

3 comments:

  1. I live near carmarthen and went to school in Bala so i understand your problem lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise how hard a decision it would be. After 2 days on various websites I'm still no nearer choosing!!

      Delete
  2. i would say go for carmarthen mate for a few reasons. It's a community club with a huge effort made by volunteers. Bala is a club dependent on the cash from their owner Aykroyd. I cant see how Bala can sustain a club at wpl in the long term. Although naturally I wish them well. You have also family links with carmarthenshire?? if so its a no brainer. Finally its quiet easy to get to M4 , A40 from the east. Pob lwc/Good luck. A really tough choice and i would know!

    ReplyDelete