Thursday 22 December 2011

All I Want For Christmas Is 2 Tickets At Hillsborough

Watching TV on Saturday I found myself listening to an interview with Milan Mandaric. The general gist of it was that he had plans to redevelop Hillsborough in the near future. It got me thinking that Hillsborough is the one stadium in England that I'd hate to see redeveloped.

I understand the money that can be raised by the sandwich eating brigade, and I know that if Sheffield Wednesday are ever to return to the top flight, they need the 7 day a week money making opportunity that good hospitality facilities can bring. I would take the opportunity to market the stadium very differently though.

Hillsborough is the best example of what a football stadium used to be. It is an actual piece of living history. It is to be admired that a place still exists where there are four huge stands designed purely for watching the game. Every child should be given the opportunity to watch a game there to get an understanding of what 20th century football was all about. If I was Milan Mandaric I would be saying, "Come to Sheffield Wednesday and watch a game in a traditional football stadium, where there is nothing else to do except watch the game." I truely believe he could be on to a winner. In fact, it should be a stipulation that anyone who buys a Club Wembley seat MUST go and watch a game at Hillsborough.

Apparently Gary Megson takes all potential new players to the middle of the Hillsborough Kop so that they can appreciate the club that they represent. I think this is a great idea, and I'd take it further. All new fans of the big Premiership clubs should be taken to Hillsborough to watch a game, so that they can appreciate the sport that they represent.

I urge anyone who hasn't been, to go and watch a game there before it is too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment