Tuesday 10 January 2012

North of the Border, Down Cowdenbeath Way.

I did a bad thing on Sunday night. I'm not proud, I don't think it's clever and if I was still at school I would have certainly 'let it down'. I was driven to it you understand. Driven to it by the rubbish Third Round highlights on ITV. Driven to it because I can't afford Sky. Driven to it because Steve Evans is a ...(Oh no, wait, that's a whole different thing!) I feel a sense of shame, but no remorse.

I watched Sportscene on the BBC iPlayer. What's more, I loved it. Sportscene for those who don't know is the Scottish version of Match of the Day. Now normally I don't pay that much attention to the SPL, but it happened to be Scottish Cup 4th Round Day, and feeling nostalgic for the days when Dundee Utd and Aberdeen ripped through Europe, of the days when Ian Ferguson won the cup for St Mirren and Hearts choked in the final week of the season I decided to give it a view.

What a reward it was. If you take out the Old Firm, whose dominance makes the league pointless, Scottish football is very honest and entertaining. Cowdenbeath v Hibs was a belting match in a good old fashioned stadium.  It had everything. The underdogs cutting through in 15 seconds to take the lead. The professional comeback of the Premier League team. The wondergoal from Cowdenbeath to make it interesting again and then the gale force wind. Throw into the mix a Hibs striker going mad at his own fans after scoring and you have a great match. Dundee v Kilmarnock was end to end, and had the added entertainment of the ref and linesman pontificating over an offside decision. Inverness v Dunfermline had shocking goalkeeping. Airdrie v Dundee Utd had a plastic pitch and Hearts V Auchinleck had just about everything that is great about football in one 90 minute match.

If you are a fan of the superstar football of the top of the Premiership, don't go near Sportscene. There is nothing there to interest you. If, like me, you prefer football that you can actually relate to, then it is well worth an hour... Now, where can I find highlights of Division 3?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment